Ramallah

Ramallah View 1981

Ramallah View 1981

Ramallah was first settled around A.D. 1550 by Rashed Haddad and his children, and subsequently grew to become one of the outstanding town in Palestine. Ramallah was bought from its adjoining town of El-Bireh.

Ramallah history was never documented to a great extent until Azeez Shaheen decided to trace down the Ramallah family trees in 1951. He wrote about its culture, customs, and his book serves as a key to understanding Ramallah’s great history.

Ramallah is located in the hilly region of central Palestine, 16 kilometers north of Jerusalem. Built on an altitude of 900 meters above the sea level, Ramallah enjoys a temperate climate. Ramallah’s weather in the summer could rise at mid-day to 32 or 35C. (90 to 95F.), and in the winter season to drop to a low of -1 to 2C. (30 or 35F.) However for the most part the climate is unusually temperate. It does not rain in Ramallah for at least half of the year, as is the case throughout Palestine. It rains only during the winter season, from about November till the end of April. Snow is unusual; however it generally snows once a year, but does not last long.

Ramallah under the Jordanian rule from 1948-67, was known as “The Bride of Palestine” for its climate. It was a favorite summer resort for Arabs from as far away as Kuwait, Iraq, and Saudia Arabia.

Ramallah’s history can be traced back to its fore-fathers who settled Ramallah because each one of them became the head of a clan. From that first link in the family trees, we can go back another six or eight generations. The links between are lost since the Greek Orthodox Church had not kept records of baptisms, marriages, and death. However, by 1857, when the Latin Church first came to Ramallah, records were
kept. All other religious denominations followed thereafter.

Ramallah Manara (City Circle Center)

Ramallah Manara (City Circle Center) A picture of Ramallah’s city center in the 1960′s under the Jordanian Rule. There have been many changes to that area now but the circle center still remains there to this day.

Ramallah View 1981

Ramallah View 1981

One of the oldest streets in the old part of the city. The stores on each side were built around 1910. The streets is about 4 meters wide. Cottage homes used to in place of these stores, however torn down once the street became a commercial district. Summer, 1918.

One of the oldest streets in the old part of the city. The stores on each side were built around 1910. The streets is about 4 meters wide. Cottage homes used to in place of these stores, however torn down once the street became a commercial district. Summer, 1918.

Ramallah became an agricultural village of the Greek Orthodox faith. As time went, on Ramallah became a prosperous town and attracted other families who joined the town’s original settlers. The influx began about 1750 and increased as the years passed.

© 2000, ramallahonline.com
Please provide credit/Link back to RamallahOnline.com

This information has been gatherd from Azeez Shahen’s book
about ramallah, Published in 1982, Birzeit University.

Leave a Reply